Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Wasp: Friend or Foe?

(First published at Hardisonink.com)

     Wasps.  I don’t like them.  I've been stung one too many times, and they really hurt.  For those with allergies wasps can be killers.

     I recently found a nest that some paper wasps had built on my ceiling fan blade, directly over my front porch swing.  I knew I had to get rid of them and thought it would be easy by just switching on the fan.  I hid inside my home, switched on the fan, and watched through the window for the wasps to start swarming, or maybe even falling to the floor chopped into pieces.  Nothing happened.  When I turned off the fan I could see the wasps clinging tightly to the nest for their lives. I couldn't help but laugh, thinking about the ride they'd just had.

     Wasps are considered beneficial insects and it might actually be a good idea to keep some around.  They prey on corn earworms, armyworms, other harmful caterpillars and pests and feed them to their developing young.   They are also good pollinators for plants. 


     If a nest is found where children play or near other activities, or if you have allergies, there are some effective ways to eliminate it.  There are high-powered sprays that can be used from a safe distance.   I don't recommend standing underneath the nest when it is sprayed, as the wasps will drop straight down.  And they won't be happy.  Nighttime is the best time to spray because the wasps are less active then and are likely to be on the nest.  Be sure to follow the directions on the label, sweep up the dead ones and destroy the nest afterwards. 


     As for my wasps, they are safe for now.  After watching them hang on for the ride of their life, I don't have the heart to kill them.  Maybe they'll show some appreciation and help me out by eating some of the pests in my garden.


     More information on the benefits of wasps, sting prevention, and wasp control can be found online at "Stinging or Venomous Insects and Related Pests," http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig099#IMAGE%20IG:IG080D

No comments:

Post a Comment